Friday, August 22, 2008

Blog Post #1 - Effective Communication Skills

Criticizing and judging are both the nature of human beings. Conflict and argument are often the consequences that come after criticizing and judging.

For instance, Jacky tends to judge something which he thinks is unfair; he criticizes someone who had done something bad to him or his friends. He will try his very best to show his anger and dissatisfaction towards that person by sarcasm and poisoned words. However, the results are usually the reverse of what he expected since the person that he judges also try to defend themselves by attacking back with poisoned words as what he has done to them.


What is the result that I want from a conversation? When something bad happened to me, how do I express myself? Do I go from being mute to being a brute? These are some of the questions that you have to ask yourself before you communicate to others effectively.

Sometimes, people will try to act in a reverse way of what they really want since they are totally driven by their negative emotions. For example, John never turned up for the project discussion but he kept criticizing the project during the formal meeting in front of the supervisor. This caused me to scold him by denying all of his contributions in the past, making him quit the project group the following day. This was not what I wanted but I was driven by my anger, and could not retract back what I had said to him.








Therefore, effective communication is a very important skill in our daily lives as we often need to share thoughts, ideas and feelings with one another. So, I’m looking forward to having an effective communication environment in our ES2007S class! ^^

5 comments:

Gwen said...

Interesting post with interesting pictures! You had certainly made your post more entertaining by using Jacky's and John's examples :)

Zhiyi said...

Good post with examples and a nice picture to go with it! Indeed there are many two-faced people like you described in the real world. What we have to do as effective communicators is to learn how to communicate with these difficult people and not to pick up a fight, which I feel does not solve any problems. Thanks for your insight!

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Chun Siang, for this provocative post. Your examples show clearly the complexity of interpersonal communication.

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Wong Liang Fu said...

Hi Chun Siang!

Managing interpersonal conflicts is truly a huge aspect of communication! Many people fall victim to their own reactions to provocation, or fail to tackle 'sticky' situations tactfully. Your analogies pointed these points out really well.

I like what you said about "could not retract back what i said to him". How important it is to think through our words. I couldn't have expressed better myself!

Joycee said...

Heyo.. I like your anecdotes about conflicts between your peers when there's a communication breakdown. I've experienced such conflicts before and is definitely not rosy. Lots of 'poisoned' words as you said. Yeah so hopefully learning good communication skills will allow us to clear misunderstandings and resolve conflicts so as to make the world a better place!